At Brigham Young University, which is affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, allowed a panel discussion last week of what it’s like to be gay and Mormon signaling the changing attitudes toward being gay and Mormon at the University. After the panel discussion, a group of BYU students participated in the YouTube “It gets better” campaign by developing and releasing this video.
The It Gets Better project, started in 2010 in the wake of a wave of suicides by teenagers who had been bullied for being gay or being suspected of it.
The Mormon teachings condemn sexual relationships between members of the same sex, but in recent years BYU has adjusted its Honor Code to allow students to identify as gay without facing sanctions. But they are still expected to follow the chastity before marriage clause which is an expectation of all students at BYU.
Welcome to iNKBLOT, the blogosphere intended for Saint Leo University‘s Psychology students, faculty, and friends from around the world! Psychological research and the many forms of media (e.g., Internet, local, regional and world news, and etc.) provides a wealth of opinions and experiences for psychologically minded students and professionals in the field, especially Social Psychology, to engage, discover, or inform them of the many amazing aspects of their chosen discipline. iNKBLOT‘s mission is to promote psychological oriented information to its readers in hopes of sharing resources and discussing important ideas in our ever-growing field….more information HERE.
- Brigham Young University Students Courageously Say, ‘It Gets Better’ (thinkprogress.org)
- BYU Official: Mormon Students in ‘It Gets Better’ Video Won’t Be Punished Unless They Act on Their Gay Feelings (towleroad.com)
- Gay Mormons challenge church (salon.com)
- Gentle Dissent in Mormon Church on Gay Marriage (nytimes.com)
- Gay Mormon students at Brigham Young University come out in ‘It Gets Better’ video (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- VIDEO: ‘It Gets Better’ For Mormon Students Too (npr.org)
- Gay Mormon Students Come Out Online (myfoxdetroit.com)
- LGBT BYU student YouTube video gains traction (abc4.com)